Sunday, May 01, 2011

Stuc A Chroin


143 started the 14 mile 5000' Long Classic race from the village of Strathyre. Beautiful sunny day luckily with a strong cooling breeze. Covered the two miles of forest track undulating up in 22 minutes, felt like I pushed too hard. Through the trees and onto the moor, steady jog walk towards Meall Mor and an easy run down into Glen Ample. Kept to my own pace on the ascent of Beinn Each, letting one or two past on the short level sections on the way to the crags. Three or four got past just after the crags as the path steepened up and I slow down. Let them go, hoping to catch them later. Good run off the top of Beinn Each, caught and passed a few on the ridge. Felt harder than I would have hoped, still, views to die for and the breeze kept you from overheating. After about a mile of undulating ridge you have a 1000' in a mile climb up the Stuc's SW Ridge, yo yo time again as those I had passed on the ridge drift pass me. Reach the top of the Stuc in 2 hours 11, a few minutes down on schedule. Round the cairn and ease after those in front, not too fast as there's a few undulations on the way back and Glen Ample as well. Gradually pull a few places back on the run off the Stuc, the ridge along to Bealach nan Cabar and the drop back in to Glen Ample. Steady traverse along to the crossover hoping somethings left in the tank. Cross the bottom of Glen Ample and the first part of the climb ok for me although yo yo time again as I'm passed by two or three. Cramp hits about half way up but luckily another runner offers me some nuun drink which seems to help almost immediately and although losing ground on those in front I manage to run out the Glen as the slope eases. Jog over the col then try to make a steady pace back across the moor, gradually reel in and pass the three in front, one sticks with me and overtakes on the last up before the forest. Overtake and leave him on the run into the forest and pass another couple oh and a wee fall in a ditch. Back on the forest track, keep it steady for the first slightly uphill mile hoping that no one passes, one guy does, a wee chat then he's off. The last mile is downhill, not steep but enough to help you along, I can hear footsteps behind, lean forward, lengthen my stride but can't shake him and he soon passes. Manage to catch another three before the end, a couple of them barely jogging, then a quick finish required to keep ahead of the kind runner who gave me the Nuun, 3 hours 36 for 105th place. Super race, route on the hill fully marked with 30 or 40 friendly marshalls out on the hills, laden with water, sweets and loads of encouragement.

A few pictures here.

No comments: