Sunday, May 12, 2019

The Abysinnian Way

Mental health awareness week starts today, you may not know if, or how, someone else is struggling, be kind to others, let them know you care or mebee give them a wee hug.

One thing that helps me deal with the harsh modern world is my long runs in the hills, usually on my own. Yesterday I set off for Arrochar, I had read about a new route in my Southern Highlands Pocket Mountain book, starts and finishes at Butterbridge, first hill Beinn Luibhean, following the edge of an old plantation then turning steeply up to the North ridge, thankfully the gradient eases towards the summit, a good day, sun and blue skies with a nice cool breeze.



Good views to the Cobbler, Narnain and Ime. Next is Beinn Ime, thought about traversing round towards Bealach a' Mhaim to ease the climb, ha straight up is best, good choice even with a couple of on all fours moments.



Stopped a the top for a few pictures. Better views here as its a few hundred feet higher, stood for a while picking out tops I could recognise, the Crianlarich munros Cruach Ardrain, Ben More with a dusting of snow, and an elegant snowy Stob Binnien, the sawtooth like profile of the Lui Munros, the big lump of the Cruachan Horseshoe, Ben Lomond, snow topped Stuc a Chroin and Ben Vorlich, on the horizon Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg with a snowier Anoch Beag beside them Paddys Milestone, Arran and the Paps of Jura too.

Dropped off the back to Glas Bealach and the short climb up to Beinn Chorranach, a new top for me. Returned to Glas Bealach, ran through one of my favourite crags onto the ridge down to Lag Uaine. Rising traverse left then right up a series of grassy ramps to avoid the craggy SW face on the way to Vanes summit, a bit longer but takes the sting out the climb. Great views all round again.


Back along the ascent route to start, keeping to the ridge all the way to Beinn Dubh, another new top for me.




All down hill now, dropping off to the west towards Abyssinia, the newly refurbished bothy, on the way down a deer popped out from behind a crag, then another two, seemed like right in front of me at the time but they appeared like small specs on my pictures. The bottom of the glen tussocky and had to clamber over a deer fence as well. An easy 2 mile jog along the Glen Kinglas forest track to finish in just over 4 1/2 hours. A fine day.

No comments: