Monday, May 25, 2009

Arrochar Alps Sat 23rd May

Beautiful blue skies & a cool breeze on Friday and I decided to go to Arrochar on Saturday for run round Ben Vane, Ime & Narnain. Couldn't wait to go!

Got up Saturday to low cloud, but dry.

Set off from Succouth car park about 9am - charges are back on - running the Glen Loin path towards Coiregrogan, reached the Ben Vane turn off after 50 mins and set off through the muck at the bottom towards the clouds.



Caught 3 hillwalkers just as I reached the clouds and the rain blew in to make the run to the top pretty miserable. Didn't fancy going on in this but decided the route over the back to Lag Uaine was a better run off than back down the path. Met another waterproof hillwalker at the top.

When you come off the back of Vane and get the line wrong the descent can take 40 plus mins, get it right and sub 20 is easy. I've found it helps to stay on the ridge until I pass this rock.......



Couple of slips and twists on the descent, but the rain eased off and I came out the clouds to a pleasant surprise I could see the Ben Ime ascent route across the valley. I could pick out the line for the 800' climb up to Glas Beallach and with the Cloud base lifting to over 2500' I could also see the start of the final climb up Ben Ime.



Crossed Lag Uaine and set off up towards the Beallach with a bite to eat, a cereal bar and my new superfood, jelly tots. Another waterproof hillwalker lonely in the distance climbing up from Lag Uaine. This section is trackless and damp underfoot thankfully sheltered from the wind so not too cold. Stopped as I reached the Beallach for a photo looking up Ben Ime.



Getting used to the climb from Glas Beallach and no longer panic when I can't find a path, keep to the right of the crags and eventually the turret cairn appears through the clouds, exposed to the wind and rain again so no time to stop at the top, head down and run along the path to a short rocky descent and down the hill towards Beallach a' Mhaim, visibility 50 yards max means compass out from the "gap" on a 165 bearing which takes me right to the style at the Beallach. Cloud back down below 2000', continue on rather too pleased with how precise my navigaton was.

The Beallach is always a windy place, weather too nasty for any more pictures.

Found the path at the back of Narnain and plodded up past more waterproof hill walkers. Enjoyed the strengthening wind and lashing rain towards the top, wandered about the summit plateau, funny how you can get lost in such a small space everything looks unfamiliar in the mist. Found the path again and headed for my favourite Spearhead gully, wind and rain sweeping up towards me. No time to think about it just pick my way through onto surer? footing.

The Narnain descent is a cracker about 3000' in under 2 miles, a bit of everything, and requires full concentration especially when its wet & windy. You work your way through a series of lumps, bumps and gullies, head down and get on with it otherwise it snags you up and becomes s a bit of a pain.

Came back out the cloud at the top of the old concrete block path, nearly finished now. Not many people use this route any more so the tracks are gradually dissappearing, the mountains finally spit me out onto the Glen Loin path and an easy run back to the car park via the jacuzzi, just under 5 hours.

A couple more pictures in the Galleria but my phone went wonky in the rain, I think a few of the buttons have shorted out, must keep it in a poly bag in future.

No comments: