Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Kilpatrick Hill Race

Record entry of 117 for this blast up the Kilpatrick Braes, a short tour round Loch Humphrey, Greenside reservoir and a trot up the Slacks. 6 miles and 1400' of ascent. My tenth go at the race, been under the hour twice, in 2004 and 2009, this year I would be happy with anything close to 60.

Felt strong but weary on the road up to the bottom of the Braes. As we zig zagged up the hill I tried to run as much as possible without blowing up and also put a good effort where I had to walk. Once up on top got into running mode across the moor and along the ridge to join the farm track to Loch Humprhey, fine on downhill sections but could only manage what felt like a steady jog on the ups.

Left the track for the moor and lost a place or two on the short climb, gained them back plus a couple more on the way back down. A short up and over to the rough path along Greenside reservoir, picking up places. Dug in for the short climb up the Slacks running more than usual and gained a couple more places.

Gasping for air after the trig point but the hill is now helping and gradually gets steeper, take a couple of runners here and push hard for 50 or so yards to get clear, ease back before the steep drop off the Braes as I'm blowing out my ears. Pass a couple more tentative descenders at the top of the braes and try to catch two more in front, get close just as we join the road but they ease away to finish 20 or so seconds ahead of me. Glance at my watch towards the end, sub 60 is on and  kick hard to finish in 59:45.

No comments: