Sunday, July 03, 2011

Glen Douglas

New route today, I had made a loose arrangement to mebee run with one of the other runners who was at Luss yesterday, after a couple of texts I left the Vale to meet in Tarbet at half 11 and after a short section of railway track we set off straight up Ben Reoch, pathless tussocky steep. Climing 2000' in just over a mile soon had me sweating last nights beer out. The plan was Ben Reoch, Beinn Bhreac, Doune Hill (ha) and Tullich Hill to finish depending how we? felt. No paths and few if any people on these quiet hills overlooking Lochs Lomond and Long. Easy running from Reoch to Bhreac where we had a break for food and photos. We then gave back the hard earned 2000' on the steep descent to Invergroin in Glen Douglas. Across the road and up beside the missile base fence towards Doune Hill via the adjacent unamed top. Another stiff climb 1800' in a mile and a half, my partner for the day took in both tops, one of them twice, I met him about half way up DH's final climb turning back for the run into Glen Douglas. We separated on the descent and after a bit of a delay met up in the valley where I decided to run back to Tarbet via the Three Lochs trail my pal running back over Tullich Hill. Stunning views and weather requiring plenty of sun cream, water and visits to just about every stream we crossed. Excluding waiting time about 5 hours 40 for 14 miles and close to 6000' of ascent. I took a few pictures from Beinn Bhreac and one from the Three Lochs Trail.

No comments: