Sunday, October 09, 2011

Pentland Skyline

Looking back to the outward leg once the clouds had lifted


The trail ahead
Record 185 finishers in todays race, turned out to be a tough 16 miles and 6000' of ascent, into a strong wind which threatened to knock us off our feet for the first half. Set off at 11 in misty blustery conditions, a problem with my achilles meant a bit of a hobble for the first few descents. Got to Scald Law, hill 6 of 16 and loosened the shoes which seemed to sort the problem. Battered by a head on wind until I arrived at the drove road in 2 hours 8, between hills 9 and 10. The clouds lifted for the return leg which is a bit rougher, more heather bashing, less trails, kept a steady pace, running the less severe climbs. For a change I mananged to pick off runners on the ascents, only one overtook me on the way back, made up for losing time on the early descents. The Milburn name reaches many places with some benefits, got a shout of Jim Robertson, Milburn Harriers, and a welcome jelly baby from the last checkpoint marshall. Worked hard today for my 3 hours 57. A few photos here more pictures here, I feature on No 142.

No comments: