Saturday, January 28, 2012

Snowy Luss

Glorious sunrise when I got up today, a bit late as a powercut stopped my noisy backup alarm from forcing me out. I had planned a new route, Beinn Eich to start then along the ridge cutting off left for an anti clockwise run over Cruach an t-Sidhein, Beinn a'Mhanaich, Beinn Chaorach and Beinn Tarsuinn before picking up the Finlas circuit returning via Coille-eughain hill.

Ran up the glen road in the cool clear still morning. Pleased to find frozen ground as I left the road at Edentaggart Farm. Soon reached the snowline, perfect at first, two or three inches on a frozen base keeping my feet reasonably dry and warm. The top third not so good, drifting snow meant a bit of a fence posting trudge, hard work and slow. By the time I reached the top I had given up on the days route and after a few pictures turned back through the deep snow. As I decended into shallower snow the enjoyment returned and by the time I reached the glen I was ready for more. Crossed the road and trudged up Coille-eughain Hill at 1200' some 800' lower than Beinn Eich the snow should be ok to run through.


Good run  down to the foot of the Glen via the Paps, finding a nice path to the left of the trees and bog, an easier exit from the hill than usual. Finished in just over 3 1/2 hours for what turned out to be 3800' of ascent and 9 miles. More pictures here.


No comments: