Sunday, April 15, 2012

Arrochar

Sunday run for a change and I left for Arrochar just before 8 a sunny blue sky morning with a cool breeze. Car park nearly empty as I set off on the Glen Loin trail, cool breeze now slicing through me even with double thermals. Gradually warmed up as the trail undulated up towards the days hills Ben Vane and Beinn Ime. Reached the Vane path and into walk mode, caught a couple of walkers too quickly then eased back for the trudge through Vanes rocky outcrops the path disappearing every few yards in the snow. The top a pleasant contrast to the climb, no wind. Ran off the back along the ridge to the usual rock before turning left into Gleann Uaine where a tip toe descent, watchful of the black icy patches hidden in the grass, made it
difficult to use enough energy to stay warm.



Crossed Lag Uaine and found a feint ridge path that would take me half way up towards Glas Bealach on dry firm ground. Through some crags then the gradient eases over wet ground until I get to Glas B. Back into the snow from here traversing round as I climb to avoid some snowy crags. Higher and steeper and I am glad to find the footprints of two walkers and use these to improve the grip, sometimes using them for hand holds as well. The snow makes for a tough climb and towards the top I stop for a few seconds every twenty yards or so then push on before my feet freeze. The top breezy and I rest for a few seconds to take a drink and gaze at the surrounding snowy tops. The run off Ime fun in the snow, lower down towards the Bealach I manage to find firm ground and keep my feet reasonably dry. A lot of walkers about for the run along the track between Narnain and the Cobbler and down the zig zags back to a packed car park, 14 miles and 5700' in 4 hours 45.

No comments: