Saturday, July 07, 2012

Luss

An evening run so it had to be close, Beinn Dubh, Mid Hill and Coille-eughain Hill, about 10 miles and 3600' sounded good. I started up Beinn Dubh the only sounds a rhythmic squelch breathe and a soothing pitter patter of rain on my jacket. The views open up at first then gradually disappear as I climb up onto the cloudy summit ridge.


Thankfully the rain and the breeze ease off for the jog along past the corries and cairns to Mid Hill. I concentrate on keeping to the path, not that I'm going to get lost, its just comfortably familiar and a bit easier to run on. Running off Mid Hill towards the glen when Luss and an island strewn Loch appear as I drop under the clouds.



Crossing an old wooden bridge over Luss Water a quiet Owl lands on the tree next to me where it swivels round to watch me take my camera out before flying off. I'm on the last climb, a steep pull up CE hill, it feels good climbing up accompanied by Larks singing as the light fades. Too soon I am on top looking down over Luss, the streetlights glow brighter as I descend the Paps. 


Leaving the Paps I pick my way through the remains of the forest in the gloom, nearly finished now, just a couple of fields and some farm track to go, I could almost taste the beer until a sudden faceplant in a ditch right where the cows cross. A quick wash in Luss Water removes the worst of it. I finish in just over 2 1/2 hours, a few minutes quicker than last month.

No comments: