Saturday, September 05, 2026

Ben Nevis Hill Race

Weekend in Fort William, Glen Nevis campsite, for the Ben race, a damp weekend, luckily the best day was Saturday, dry and sunny in the morning, overcast afternoon, race started at 1pm, fairly humid until we got to windy corner, thankfully a breeze, reached the Red Burn seconds inside 1 hour, straight up from there, into the clouds at about 3000', breezy and wet, getting my gloves and wooly hat on as I cooled down certainly helped, reached the top in about 1 hr 54, good climb, turned for the descent, took it steady I'm not as quick as I used to be on the way down, 2 or 3 local runners went past, they picked good lines so I followed until they disappear into the mist, let another couple past before the Red Burn, easy running by half way lochan then the cramp inducing steps round windy corner to my preferred short cut, very muddy by the time I got there, easier running again down to the Ben Nevis Inn and the last mile or so on the road and a run round the football pitch to finish, 1 second slower than last year. Carried more electrolytes to offset cramp this year didn't help that the small packets were difficult to open probably cost me a couple of minutes but they do work.

The Ben from Glen Nevis

Sgurr a'Mhaim and Stob Bhan from Glen Nevis

Melantee from Glen Nevis

Passing the BN Inn, nearly finished



No comments: