Saturday, March 09, 2013

Luss again

Looking for a longer run this week and with the clag down thought about Arrochar as its easier to navigate, a change of plan saved the day and I set off for Luss, same route as a couple of weeks ago, starting up Beinn Dubh and finishing off down the Paps. Good running at the bottom, ground firm but not frozen hard. The wind picked up as I climbed higher, second jacket and fleece lined hat on before the top, now some icy stuff coating the grass, the wire fence rime encrusted.


Not a day for hanging about, although once on the ridge towards Mid Hill the wind eased off. Ran down into Sith Mor dropping out the clouds and into the relative calm of the valley. Picked my way up Doune Hill using the gulleys to shelter from the worst of the wind. Reached the bealach for the last push to the top the wind stealing my breath, careful to keep some idea of direction as I skirted round larges patches of ice on the way.  The summit was a blast, visibility down to a few metres with icy rain stinging face and eyes.



The icy grass hiding any sign of the path I made my way off towards Beinn Lochain, the quad bike tracks at the bottom of one steep slope a sign I wasn't too far off line. More pathless stuff up and over Beinn Lochain and I was happy to meet Lyndsay on the way to Beinn Eich, he was out for a shorter run and turned back with me. Heads bowed we kept moving as we took more arctic blasts over Beinn Eich finally relaxing when they eased as we dropped down into the glen. I crossed the glen for the 1000' in a mile trudge up Coille-eughain Hill, back into the wind but nothing like before, pleasant run down the Paps, a bit quicker than a couple of weeks ago, finishing just under 4 1/2 hours. A few more pictures here.

No comments: