Saturday, March 16, 2013

Lusstrous

Clouds above the tops but Scotland's mountains still snow covered meant another Luss run.


 I planned a longer route this week, 18 miles with 8000' of ascent. The first part of the run the same as last week, Beinn Dubh & Doune Hill,  then instead of Beinn Eich & Coille-eughain hill to finish, I planned to cross to the other side of Glen Luss over Cruach An t-Sidhein, Beinns A' Mahanach, Chaorach and Tharsuinn and a couple of unnamed tops, finishing over Coille-eughain hill. Lower down the ground wasn't frozen so cold feet to start in the melt water from last weeks ice and snow. The tops are still frozen hard so a chance to dry my feet but a bit tough to run on.



All went well until I was having a break on Cruach An t-Sidhein and a snowy squall blew through, difficult to tell how bad it would get so I dropped into the Glen missing out Beinn A'Mhanach, it was hard going through the Glen on trackless tussocky ground and as the skies cleared overhead I changed back to the planned route climbing Beinn Chaorach with a few hundred feet extra thrown in as I had passed the beallach by then. Still managed to cover 9 hills with 17 miles and 7400' of ascent, finishing in just under 6 1/2 hours. Pictures and route map here. The skylarks were singing so maybe Spring is here at last.

No comments: