Friday, May 10, 2013

Dumyat and a 10k, Midweek racing

After last weeks stormy Stuc a calm Wednesday evening race up an down Dumyat, it was the 40th aniversary of the race, 250 plus set off, over 100 less than last year. My target was to finish inside 50 minutes. No queues at the hole in the wa' this year and no Bluebells in the woods either. Kept to a steady slow jog on the way up including where I usually walk, only walking up two rocky bits, wheeled round the trig in 32 minutes something, concentration required on the way down to avoid runners coming up and in trying to keep the intensity high, its too easy to relax and cruise down thinking this is as fast as I can go. Soon I'm crossing the style onto the muddy path twisting and sliding through the woods, feet slapping down the tarmac hill before the short wee stress inducing uphill track towards the back of the uni grounds before a welcome gradual descent to finish in 50:22. Thursday night was the Club 10k, following the old Vale 10k route except starting and finishing at the LC. Numbers slightly down this year, 14 against 18 probably due to the proximity of the Kintyre Way race on Satrurday. Three groups set off, 60 mins+, 45-60mins, sub 45 mins, I chose the last one, not that I would break 45 mins tonight, my target was to beat last nights time. The rest of my group drifted away off in front and I tried to keep a steady pace, quads a bit tender. Round Lomond Shores and into Balloch Park my group disappeared off ahead but I started to catch the earlier group giving me something to chase. Picked off a few on the way through Jamestown to the Bonhill bridge. Finished just over 49 mins in 6th place.

No comments: