Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Slioch

A hilly weekend taking in the Slioch Hill Race and an easy run over some of Beinn Eighe's bits. Left on Friday afternoon for the 5 hour drive to Taagan campsite just past Kinlochewe. Great drive surrounded by classic Scottish mountain scenery through Glens Coe, Garry, Shiel, Carron, finally arriving in Glen Docherty at the head of Loch Maree just as the sun began to set.


Saturday morning and after porridge in the Whistle Stop Cafe (well worth a visit if your passing through) I had some time to kill before the race, drove through Glen Torridon to look over tomorrows run and spent a nice hour or so watching pairs of eagles soaring above while I had my second breakfast.

Just over 50 runners for the 12 mile race with 4000' of ups and downs. The first and last 3 miles are on a trail along towards Slioch, leaves most of the climbing packed into 6 fun miles, onto the first climb, Sgurr Dubh, it just gets steeper all the way to 2400 feet in a couple of miles, felt like I was going backwards, soon only two behind me and those in front going away, had a couple of jelly beans and felt a bit better, over the top and a welcome if short downhill to the two lochans before an easier climb to the first of Slioch's two summits.


Sgurr Dubh front middle, Slioch's summits back left, Sgurr an Tuill Bhain back right.

A short run across to the second top then a nice undulating ridge run, I was quite happy to jog along taking in the views, to Sgurr an Tuill Bhain. The drop off here is quite steep, but grassy and easy to run down, at the bottom a steeper rocky path drops into Gleann Biansadail, managed to reel in three runners by the bottom, good fun having to concentrate and work hard to keep the pace going. A quick splash and drink in the stream before what seemed like an endless run out towards Loch Maree, after 20 minutes of undulating riverside path at last I was back on the 3 mile trail to the finish where each small hill took its toll, walking and shuffling trying to catch the runner in front and not look back, sensing a runner behind. Its a cruel finish especially on a warm day, the reward is a beer and a chance to watch the next few runners come in before walking back for a feed in the village hall. I finished the 12 miles and 4000' in 3:35.

Slept better on Saturday night, the warm sun waking me at 8 the next morning. Packed up and left for Glen Torridon and the Coire Dubh Mor path, a stoney path not great for tired legs but it climbs gently passing between Beinn Eighe and the huge lump of Liatach.


Liatach with the Coire Dubh Mor path below

Round the prow of Sail Mhor the sense of wilderness grows as a jumble of mountian views opens up. The track gets a bit steeper as I approach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, well worth the effort, stop for a break in the sun, a few pictures and something to eat. At the back of the corrie I climb up a series of terraces past small pools and waterfalls towards my target, the stone chute to the side of the triple buttress, onto the Beinn Eighe ridge. A simple scramble on the North side of the chute makes for easier going. Up on the ridge, breezy and I set off for Ruadh-stac Mor the highest of Beinn Eighe's 9 tops. A quick run up and back to the main ridge helps keep me warm, I traverse along towards the other munro top, half way there I check out my planned descent route, A Choinneach Mhor, a steep scree slope. I've been out for nearly 4 hours and decide to miss the 2nd top and set off back down with anticipation. I am not dissapointed, a mixture of scree, rocks and boulders and I'm soon sliding, surfing and sometimes sitting in rivers of moving scree flowing down towards the valley floor. An absorbing 20 minutes later I'm back on the CDM path and jog back to the car in 4 hours 20 for 10 miles with 4000' of climbing. A wash in the river Torridon and I'm ready for the slow drive home.


Glengarry
A few more pictures here.

No comments: