Sunday, October 28, 2012

Cool running in the Arrochar Alps

The morning at least promised good weather and I woke to clear skies although a bit dark. Vane, Ime and Narnain seemed about right. I set off through Glen Loin just after half 8 clear blue skies above frozen ground underneath. Walking the hills to save something for later. Reaching the cut off for Vane thankful the usually swampy ground was frozen keeping my feet dry and not cold, not warm either but hey ho I can put up with that. As usual negative thoughts come to the fore on this climb, why bother, maybe I'll just do this one and run back down the glen, it seems to be a bit of a struggle today. I get to the top after a few photo stops and walk around the small summit plateau to take in the views. Feeling better now and exit the summit along the ridge to the west, run a bit further than usual before dropping down into the Glen, this means more running than scrambling and helps to keep my body and feet warm, the sun hasn't reached this side of the hill yet. On the climb out the other side from a usually deserted Lag Uaine I meet a lone walker, a hello and a wave as we pass from our respective ridges is as close as it gets here. A frosty climb to Ime's summit follows where I am joined by a walker and his dog for a few minutes, we both agree 4 legs are better than 2 up here. The path off Ime frozen hard and I run on the soft rush to the side taking care to avoid icy rocks and frozen streams lurking beneath the grass. This side of the Alps is busier with walkers and gives me something to chase and keep a bit of effort going on the way up Narnain. At the top I hide behind a draughty dry stane shelter beside the trig point, too cold to wait here for long I scramble off through the Spearhead for the long run down to Succoth. Finish the 14 or so miles with 6500' of ascent in just under 5 1/2 hours.




No comments: