Monday, November 05, 2012

Dumyat Dash

Back for a second go at this short race, 5 or 6  miles and 1800' of ascent. Another good day, clear skies, cool with little or no breeze. As I approached Drymen snow covered Campsies came in to view which reminded me I had left my race shoes at home, oops, a double back from Drymen to collect them took half an hour and now I was pushed for time hopefully I missed the speedtrap on the Stirling Straights. The race starts and nearly 100 of us set off from Menstrie village green, a short section of road then a couple of miles of farm track undulating up as it winds its way into the Ochils behind Dumyat. Off road and a short drop into the Glen and through the Menstrie Burn before a jog walk up the back of Dumyat the leaders come tumbling by as I trudge up the tussocky ascent. 51 Minutes and I'm running round the summit cairn, superb views all round. I take a while to get into a rhythm on the way back down and only manage to catch a couple of runners in front by the bottom of the glen. From here the return route takes a muddy undulating trail beside the Menstrie Burn, a couple of steep inclines keep the pace in check then I get a second wind and ease past three runners in quick succession thankful for the grippy shoes I went back for. Soon we rejoin the farm track for a quick run down into Menstrie, I can't catch the two runners just in front until they bypass one of the steep tricky shortcuts I go for it, stumble down and come out in front. Steady effort for a couple of hundred yards keeps me ahead and I'm back running along the road to finish on the village green in 76 minutes, a minute or so quicker than last year. Tea and biscuits in the village hall, showers too if you want.

No comments: