Saturday, April 13, 2013

Roots, Rock, Running

Screel Hill Race, I ran this in 2004, slight route change due to forestry ops with a few feet less down and up. Just over 60 runners set off, sunny but not too hot. The first half mile winds up on a forest road before heading onto a rocky root covered walkers path twisting and turning up through the forest, we cross another forest road then more rocks and roots, not too steep and I managed to keep running most of the way with only the odd rocky outcrop to scramble over. The path steepens up as we leave the forest, sweating a bit now and more walk than jog. We're soon up on the ridge and running again along a boggy path, a couple get past me on the way down and up to the second top. We drop off the back and traverse back along a heathery path below the summit ridge, I've let a 50 yard gap develop and try to work to get it back. The path kicks back up to the ridge before plunging down a rocky path and back into the forest for a helter skelter run on the same rocky root strewn paths we ran on the way up, I catch only occasional glimpses of those in front, I pick off a couple but can't quite close on the guy who passed me at the top finishing about a second behind in 41 1/2 minutes. Some pictures here, thankfully I managed to beat the guy in full army kit and rucksack.

No comments: