Saturday, April 20, 2013

Ben More Hill Race

I ran this in 2010 when it was the Mull Monsterette, this years version was shorter a straight up an down Ben More. A mile shorter than Ben Lomond but the same amount of ascent and generally up all the way, no wee flat bits to have a rest. I set off at the back of the small field of 36 runners, double the number of three years ago, and slowly ground my way past a few on the short track section before the hill. Kept the same run where I could approach which kept me in sight of the runners in front. About half way up it gets a bit steeper and I have to walk. A strong wind pushes us around as we zig zag up Ben More's North Western shoulder. We go through some scree then running again as the gradient eases towards the top. Two of us turn at the summit cairn in 64 minutes just as the winner finishes. The run down is a constant downhill only the terrain changing from scree to tussocks to stoney path and stream. We change places all the way down passing five other runners on the way, eventually I lose out by three seconds, its the same runner who beat me by a second at Screel. Finished in 1:32 the same time as my number 132! A few pictures from the race area, Loch Na Keal and Ben More here. Race pictures here.

No comments: