Thursday, January 12, 2006

Dumfries Marathon '06

Having been seduced by Hill Running over the past few years I have been unable to find the motivation to do another marathon.

Finally the itch has to be scratched & have another go!

In 2002 I did both the Dumfries & London marathons and Dumfries being resurected for 2006 has given me a target, so all things being equal I'll be there on the 19th of March.

For races like this I need a structured programme to avoid burnout as I move towards D day. This also has to fit in around family life and work, not easy!

So here goes, I'll publish my programme for each week in advance along with a resume of the previous weeks effort. (Dec '05 in arrears!!).

The type of programme I develop work for me but is basically 2 or 3 weeks forward then 1 week back, each week comprising the usual weekend long run, off road if poss, 1 progressive speedwork session, 1 longish hilly run and the rest as easy as my nature permits.

Weekly mileage planned to start about 35 building to 60 then a 3 to 4 week taper.

For those who know the area a favourite easy run would be up the Stoneymollen and along the moor returning to the Vale by the radiomast and the cemetary!!

No comments: